Friday, May 8, 2009

Why am I here?

I have been a volunteer at Oakdale Community School (elementary/middle) and the Oakdale Public Library, a branch of Washington County Libraries, since last fall. I also am in the process of obtaining my Minnesota Volunteer Library Certification and have taken a number of seminars in the past eight months. In addition to the Minnesota certification, I'm working toward my Class II Wisconsin Library Certification and just completed two online classes through UW-Madison.

The reason I'm blogging is to record my progress in 23 Things on a Stick and 23 More Things on a Stick. The Minnesota library certification program I'm enrolled in cites 55 competencies that must be demonstrated. One category of competencies centers on technology skills. I'm hoping to learn 46 new "things" as I progress through the lessons on "library 2.0" at my own pace.

Becoming a librarian is a mid-life career change for me. My husband and I sold our sports enthusiast magazine to a publishing company in Milwaukee, so I am taking this opportunity to do something I really enjoy. I already have a 4-year degree and am hoping to avoid the $25,000 price tag of acquiring a MLIS degree, hence the certification programs and volunteering. Unfortunately, virtually all libraries in the Twin Cities and Western Wisconsin seem to have a hiring freeze that won't be thawing any time soon.

The name of my blog (Lake Elmo Librarian) refers to my library in the little village of Lake Elmo where I live. I will begin volunteering there next week and hope some day to work there as a paid librarian.