Wednesday, May 13, 2009

My dream job...

Yesterday I actually got to volunteer at the Lake Elmo Library, my idyllic library, about a half mile from my home. It was as wonderful as I thought it might be. There was only one librarian, a library clerk and me. Patrons' ages ranged from toddler to 90+ I would guess. The librarians seemed to know at least half the patrons by name.

By Washington County's standards (think growing suburbs), it's a very small library (see photo with personal profile on upper right side of blog page). It's maybe 1,800 square feet tops.

There are two rooms. One room holds the adult collection with comfy upholstered chairs and a table and chairs in the back where patrons can sit and enjoy the nearby magazines and newspapers. Another table and chairs also sits in the bay window alcove at the front of that room.

The other room houses the childrens' collection with one entire wall of sunlit, mullioned windows overlooking the main street of our little village... with window seats of course. The childrens' room spills out the side through french doors onto a stone patio beautifully landscaped with a flowering crab tree, shrubs and greenery. A stone ramp crosses over a patch of grass and leads to the parking lot in back. When the weather is nice, Friday morning story time is held outside.

The best thing is I get to go back today and tomorrow. The regular volunteer, a gentleman in his 80's named Bernie, is off doing something else this week... so I get to experience what it would be like to have my dream job... being a librarian in my small village of Lake Elmo.

No comments:

Post a Comment