Saturday, May 9, 2009

46 Things On a Stick

I missed signing up for the original 23 Things On a Stick (both times), but I did sign up in January 2009 for 23 More Things On a Stick to be completed by May 20, 2009. It's May 9th now, and I'm never going to make that deadline.

Most of my effort and spare time this winter went into the two online continuing ed classes I took through UW-Madison. The Public Library Administration class ended at the end of March. The other online class, Basic Reference, just ended May 2nd.

Originally, I hoped to focus all my attention on 23 More Things once May started-- doing at least one thing a day-- to meet the deadline. My plans changed when we acquired a new puppy on May 3rd, so I'm just going to do all 46 things on my own schedule. If I do two "Things" a week, I should be done by the end of the year.

Right now I'm a bit overwhelmed by looking at the list of all 46 Things. I'm middle-aged and a "digital immigrant." I once heard that term in reference to those of us that didn't grow up with computers. My 26-year-old son, born in 1983, is probably on the leading edge of that part of the population referred to as "digital natives." For the record, here are all 46 Things I need to learn.

The original 23 Things On a Stick:
  1. Set up a blog
  2. Share your thoughts about Library 2.0
  3. Learn about RSS
  4. Explore Flickr
  5. More fun with Flickr
  6. Play with an online image generator
  7. Try using Web 2.0 communication tools
  8. Share slide decks, photos or presentation slides
  9. Learn to collaborate on documents and presentations
  10. Wikis
  11. Tagging and Delicious
  12. Social media sites13. Online productivity tools
  13. LibraryThing
  14. Libraries and games
  15. Assignment Calculator and the Research Project Calculator
  16. ELM (Electronic Library for Minnesota) productivity tools
  17. YouTube and other video sites
  18. Explore podcasts
  19. Facebook and MySpace
  20. Explore other social networks
  21. Keeping up with Web 2.0 and Library 2.0
  22. Complete online evaluation and blog about your
  23. Things On a Stick experience
The 23 More Things On a Stick:
  1. Refresh your blog from the first 23 Things
  2. Explore the bloggers' toolkit
  3. Join the 23 Things Ning
  4. Twitter
  5. Customize your home page
  6. Play with Google tools
  7. Try out more ways to use RSS and Delicious
  8. More Twitter
  9. Work with Google maps and mashups
  10. Explore Travel 2.0
  11. Explore online answer sites
  12. Play with Books 2.0
  13. Generate some fun and comic relief
  14. Photo Tales
  15. Screencasting
  16. Digital storytelling
  17. Mashup the web
  18. Mashup your life
  19. Music 2.0
  20. Online TV and video
  21. The economy
  22. Cloud computing
  23. WebJunction Minnesota